For Sale 33ft Tube in Tube Mash Chiller

Hi There,

Im selling a tube in tube/tube in shell mash cooler that i've used twice - works great, but no longer needed as my mash tun does a good job of chilling with the cooling jackets and agitation and i've stopped lautering my mash.

each pass is 49.5", there are 8 tubes - 33ft total. 2" inner tube with 2" TC connections, outer tube is 3".

Glycol or cold water hookups are 1", standard 1.5" TC connections.

Asking $3000 CAD OBO + freight from Belleville, Ontario, Canada.

Photos below:

20230413_130940.jpg

20230413_130947.jpg

20230413_130952.jpg

20230413_131001.jpg

We are looking to get one. Are you chilling with chilled water or gylcol, or both? From what I understand you don't want to send higher temps back to the gylcol chiller, so is common practice to drop temp with water first, then switch to gylcol if further cooling is needed.

Also how long is the chilling taking from mash temps to pitching temps? Thanks for any info.

3 hours ago, TwentySevenBrewing said:

We are looking to get one. Are you chilling with chilled water or gylcol, or both? From what I understand you don't want to send higher temps back to the gylcol chiller, so is common practice to drop temp with water first, then switch to gylcol if further cooling is needed.

Also how long is the chilling taking from mash temps to pitching temps? Thanks for any info.

We use water and can drop 400 gallons of mash from 190° to pitch in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 

2 hours ago, Golden Beaver Distillery said:

We use water and can drop 400 gallons of mash from 190° to pitch in about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. 

Dam not sure what im doing wrong but it takes me a hell of a lot longer and from a lower temp.  And we are using 20 degree glycol

It's all about correct design and cooling surface area.  I designed mine for grain in mash cooling and when using municipal tap water and I cool down to pitching temp within 30 minutes.  The difference between mine and the one above is that I have an extremely high product surface area for increased efficiency.

IMG_20210615_183034a.jpg

20 hours ago, Golden Beaver Distillery said:

Water is the best way to transfer heat - more efficient than Glycol. 

As a blanket statement yes I agree.  But at what temp does this change.   IE. if in the summer my ground water is 70 degrees vs the 24 degree glycol?  

3 hours ago, whiskeytango said:

As a blanket statement yes I agree.  But at what temp does this change.   IE. if in the summer my ground water is 70 degrees vs the 24 degree glycol?  

I'm sure things like flow rates play a bigger role than temp. How slow is the mash move through the heat exchanger vs the water/glycol flow rate. Below an expert says glycol is 10% less efficient but I think that is a blank statement lacking specifics.

Various expert comments found online - "water temperature capacity vs glycol"

"Water has a better ability to retain and conduct heat from an associated process than a glycol mixture can. As a result, the efficiency of heat transfer for a water chiller will be higher than that of a glycol chiller."  Why we have our chiller setup without glycol.

"Water has superior heat transfer properties compared to propylene or ethylene glycol and is more frequently used in the southern half of the United States. Water is also cheaper than glycol and, in most cases, will result in a smaller unit selection while requiring less pumping HP."

"Water is the most common heat transfer fluid because of its economy, high heat capacity and favorable transport properties."

“If a system is utilizing glycol, instead of pure water, that mixture has a different heat transfer rate with potentially five to 10 percent less efficiency than water due to its viscosity,”

On 5/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, TwentySevenBrewing said:

Sorry for the late reply, I am using water that is chilled by a glycol chiller :P so it's about 4 degrees C, 40 degrees F

chilling from mash temps to pitching took me about 45 mins but this was a lautered mash - i did not use it for grain on mashing as my mash tun jacked worked fine for chilling.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Old Glory Distilling Co. said:

Do you know if the jacketed portion is baffled in any way? Or is it just a 2" tube inside of an empty 3" tube?

I'm sorry i have no idea if it's baffled.  My assumption is that it's not, but i have no idea.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:38 AM, TwentySevenBrewing said:

To make the glycol chiller as small as possible, you add an intermediate plate exchanger, a water pump and water reservoir as the primary coolant to your mash exchanger.  I generally use a water reservoir twice the volume of the mash tun, but the size I reservoir is dependent also on the size of your glycol chiller. Your water reservoir is used for the still condenser, so most distillers do not run both loads at once, but alternate days of use so reservoir water temperature can recover. 

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Mike

On 6/9/2023 at 12:26 PM, Old Glory Distilling Co. said:

Do you know if the jacketed portion is baffled in any way? Or is it just a 2" tube inside of an empty 3" tube?

You normally wouldn’t see baffling on HX this size.  You generally adjust your flows by the amount of temperature drop on either side, bothe the mash and coolant sides.  If you know the manufacturer, they may be able help. You shouldn’t want more than 10 degree delta TD on the coolant side.  If you do not control the coolant TD , it can become more than the chiller can handle and will overheat.  

Mike