pumps

bioviper

Whats up bros. getting ready to start buying stuff for my little distillery and i had a question about pumps. I need a pump for my mash and a pump for the whiskey. Do i need 2 pumps or can i do both with 1 pump that can handle high proof without blowing up. If you have any thoughts on what to buy and where that would be great. cheers

My research so far suggests Marathon or Sandpiper (they are both the same company but model names vary). Be sure all "wetted parts" are alcohol safe. Your basic choices are stainless, teflon (PTFE) and silicone - but check the silicone grade to be sure.

I went with a sandpiper diaphragm pump ordered through mcmaster carr: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/327/=dtwemi (item number 13465K38). It's the acetal housing with ptfe (Teflon) diaphragm. Safe for booze, pushes 12-14 gpm, kinda explosion proof and will move maximum viscosity of 10,000 centipoise (similar to chocolate syrup). It goes for $619 on mcmaster.com but I was told by a rep from Lee Mathews that I paid too much.

Here's a pic of my pump mounted to a "cart"...

pump.JPG

If you interested in such a diaphragm pump for moving high proof liquid it might be worth reaching out to Patrick Wells with Lee Mathews (His number is 303.524.6912). They are a sandpiper dealer and he really seems to know his stuff. I'm currently working with him to source a centrifugal pump and a heat exchanger. If you wanted to go with just one pump to do it all, i'm fairly certain you could go with an explosion proof centrifugal pump. I suppose you could also use a diaphragm pump to move everything but then you'd have to contend with the air compressor noise associated with a whole lot more run time.

For hazardous environments an Air Diaphragm pump is the way to go. Inexpensive, all kinds of sizes (gallons per minute rating) available and all types of elastomers available. PTFE (Teflon) are usually more expensive than silicone or other elastomers. Verify chemical compatibility with the product your pumping AND the cleaning / sanitizing products you are going to use when selecting the elastomers in the pump. Also be aware of the product temp you are going to pump. Different body materials can handle different temp ranges.

Air Diaphragm pumps are not built for pumping liquids with particulates. The particulates can cause the check valves in the pump to not seal. If your mash doesn't have particulates, then you can use the diaphragm pump for this operation. A centrifugal pump may be a better choice.

If you have particulates then you may have to use a flexible impeller or lobe pump. Lobe pumps are much more expensive and Waukesha is about the most expensive. Flexible impeller pumps are pretty straight forward and come in a wide range of elastomers (impeller) and sizes (gpm).

I went with a sandpiper diaphragm pump ordered through mcmaster carr: http://www.mcmaster....117/327/=dtwemi (item number 13465K38). It's the acetal housing with ptfe (Teflon) diaphragm. Safe for booze, pushes 12-14 gpm, kinda explosion proof and will move maximum viscosity of 10,000 centipoise (similar to chocolate syrup). It goes for $619 on mcmaster.com but I was told by a rep from Lee Mathews that I paid too much.

Here's a pic of my pump mounted to a "cart"...

pump.JPG

If you interested in such a diaphragm pump for moving high proof liquid it might be worth reaching out to Patrick Wells with Lee Mathews (His number is 303.524.6912). They are a sandpiper dealer and he really seems to know his stuff. I'm currently working with him to source a centrifugal pump and a heat exchanger. If you wanted to go with just one pump to do it all, i'm fairly certain you could go with an explosion proof centrifugal pump. I suppose you could also use a diaphragm pump to move everything but then you'd have to contend with the air compressor noise associated with a whole lot more run time.

Lenny<

i love the cart!! I could build you a nice stainless handle for that...then you could ride that puppy from tank to tank! McMaster has about everything, but they are a lot more on some things, on some, they are cheaper. buyer beware.

Today, or with the future in mind? Volume plays a roll here. For smaller volumes you can "bucket" it over. For the mash we use a screw or displacement pump. Impellors can add unwanted "Heat". And you'll find you need to change the darn things occasionally as they wear out. Just saying, I'm glad I got a screw pump for the mash. Check out catalogs of St pat's /Texas and GW Kent , both Wine equipment suppliers.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are on a small scale and want to go cheap, I bought an electric submersible "dirty water pump" for about $70. Just lower the pump into the mash, it is amazing how fast it pumps mash through a 1.25 inch hose. Don't know how long it will last, but for $70 I have got my monies worth.

Even though the electric motor is sealed I would not suggest it is used with spirit.

• 5 months later...

I went with a sandpiper diaphragm pump ordered through mcmaster carr: http://www.mcmaster....117/327/=dtwemi (item number 13465K38). It's the acetal housing with ptfe (Teflon) diaphragm. Safe for booze, pushes 12-14 gpm, kinda explosion proof and will move maximum viscosity of 10,000 centipoise (similar to chocolate syrup). It goes for $619 on mcmaster.com but I was told by a rep from Lee Mathews that I paid too much.

I actually haven't seen this pump, or the next size down, for any cheaper than at McMaster-Carr. And for me, there is the advantage that they are a short drive away and I can avoid shipping purchasing at will call. On the other hand, I have to pay state and county taxes.

• 1 year later...

You can use centrifugal pump to move mash, they are the cheapest method, however, unlike air diaphram and other positive displacement, you must gravity prime them first. most breweries use centrifugal pumps. carlsens does have variable frequency pumps but they are the highest end pumps. screw pumps are the best and most universal pump for a distillery, they work on both alcohol and mash. keisel is a brand I have seen used most often. 10k but single pump that will gently handle every type of wash out there. Including fruit w/ pits and seeds without crushing them.