Best options for cooling mash

HedgeBird

We are in the process of upgrading our mash tun from one with a separate steam plate and cooling jacket to a new larger mash-tun that has only a single steam jacket. 

I am wondering what folks who have single jacket mash tun, and who do grain is mashes are doing for cooling the mash?  Are most of you running both steam and cooling (water or glycol) through the same jacket, or are you using a separate heat exchanger?

Out details:

Old mash tun is 150 gallon (has separate steam and cooling jackets)

The more efficient the heat exchanger, the more cooling you require, which is why I specify some kind of reservoir for everything except cooling with city water- but then this is so expensive, I specify a reservoir for that too, and for well water applications- hardly anyone has enough well capacity to run everything, too often the wells run dry. That way you can use a much smaller chiller.

19 hours ago, indyspirits said:

Removable or fixed? If the latter, cleaning will be an issue.

We do removable and fixed.  We spent a lot of time designing both.  The position is such that cleaning is not an issue.   We have around 40 mash tuns and combination mash tun stills in operation with internal cooling coils.

9 hours ago, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

why I would not put it in my jacketed ferment tanks and use the jackets to cool in the ferment tanks?

You can certainly do that as long as either (A) you pump over or (B) you have an agitator -- either fixed or transportable -- in your fermenters. If you don't have either you're ferment will be completed (or stalled due to overheating) by the time its cooled.  

On 11/10/2018 at 10:29 PM, Alaskan Spirits LLC said:

Is there a reason I am not thinking of - why I would not put it in my jacketed ferment tanks and use the jackets to cool in the ferment tanks?  I am a new distillery owner and that is our current process but learning as I go......

Along with what other have said this also means you have to wait longer to add your yeast.  Our fermenters have very small jacketed areas so it would not be practical to use ours for the initial crash cooling.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:56 PM, Southernhighlander said:

We do removable and fixed.  We spent a lot of time designing both.  The position is such that cleaning is not an issue.   We have around 40 mash tuns and combination mash tun stills in operation with internal cooling coils.

ours are fixed and work well

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 3:41 AM, indyspirits said:

You can certainly do that as long as either (A) you pump over or (B) you have an agitator -- either fixed or transportable -- in your fermenters. If you don't have either you're ferment will be completed (or stalled due to overheating) by the time its cooled.  

Yes, we have a pump and we have an agitator.  Thanks so much!