label approval time

The label approval process depends upon if the label is submitted online or with hard copies. Mistakes will be returned as needing correction. I encourage the use of the online COLA.

The TTB seems to be pretty slammed right now, so I would prepare for a wait of 60 days, just to be safe, and taking into account corrections for a first time learning curve.

Good luck,

Wes

We've had labels approved in as little as a week... that being said i too can echo the sentiments that TTB seems to be backed up.. IT took 60 days or so for our last label approval (finally got it last week)

If they reject it, they will say why ( and often you are at the mercy of the person who is the reviewer, and their understanding of the laws) You have the option of making the corrections and re-submitting ( there is a checkbox for this)... but if they reject something on your label that you know to be within compliance of the regs.. dont be afraid to call them and bitch... i have personally been involved in a few such cases. It takes time to get them to see the errors of their ways, and in one case, it took lawyers, but "we" prevailed.

good luck.

best i've had was 56 minutes. we had a trio. first one took about 30 days for the rejection, then about 12 days each for the next rejection, and finally the approval. once that was done, we submitted the second one and got approval later that day...then submitted the third and got approval in 56 minutes. seems once you're on their radar you can sort of stay there.

good luck,

will

Wow, we were just informed yesterday that the backlog is so significant that we should be prepared to wait 90 days.

Guy, are you doing this online yourself?

We've been using Robert Lehrman because in the past it was easy and cheap.

Submitted online by ourselves. I think the current TTB line is 90 days (saw that on their site too)- they are trying to get people in the mindset to plan ahead and not come down on them if it takes a while. In the past we were typically getting approvals (or rejections) in about two weeks.

We just got approval for a label last week. It took, I think, 28 calendar days. If you look at the TTB Cola page you will see they have over 32,400 label app's to date. There were 12,000 when we submitted. So do not delay to get yours in. I also remember being told at the TTB Expo if you have been rejected for a fix, your re submission goes to the top of the list. And they may search for same DSP submissions at that time.

A bit of advice... If they still do this and you can find a COLA seminar you can get a nonbinding review of your submission. It is worth traveling a few miles to get that. You can rant, as we all have, but these are understaffed, overworked people working for us. Be a little kind.

About how long after a new label is submitted does it take to get approved? If there is a mistake or it is turned down for some reason, does the process start over or just submit a revised label and its done? Thanks, Greg

I submitted my labels Feb 1st and they still are not all approved. I have 1 approved and 2 pending that I have been going back and forth with the TTB about for 2-3 weeks now with little to no movement. Im personally frustrated beyond belief with these people and there complete lack of professionalism. Every freaking day that goes by is costing me time and money and from their responses, they couldnt care less. If you guys hear of a disgruntled distillery owner at the top of a clock tower in western montana you can have a safe guess who it is.

TTB is being hit by the the continuing resolution and plan for budget reduction as is every other federal agency. In particular, regulatory and fee collection agencies are facing significant budget reductions based on the current guidance to meet congressional plans to reduce funding to the 2008 levels. These areas will be hardest hit by planned budget cuts (even though they actually increase revenue), so we should all anticipate that this situation will likely get worse.

...and when you regain your perspective, you'll find that they are very professional - to the point that they care about the accuracy of task they perform without regard to external influences, including the time and money you're bleeding while they get around to it. that's true for all government agencies at every level. you should plan for that.

they treat everyone exactly the same way, except in one instance...if you piss them off, you'll get special treatment.

the beatings and floggings will continue until morale improves.

will

I have been told that after the TTB made some software changes in December that there were some fields added to the application on line. If you don't fill in those fields, you're application is listed as "incomplete". It's worth checking.