Heating Options for 80 gallon Still

blueridgedreamin

Bluestone (and others),

Can you provide a little more info on Bain Marie?

Specifically a Bain Marie is a hot water bath, which to be used as a heating source for distillation of ethanol, would require the still run in a vacuum environment to lower the vapor pressure and allow the ethanol to distill at a lower temperature.

Are you also using Bain Marie to refer to hot-oil systems, in which a thermally resistive oil (such as USP grade mineral oil) is heated via an external source and used to the still.

Sorry for the confusion, I've used hot oil systems in the 12-15 MM btu/hr range, but never heard of them referred to as Bain Marie systems until I started making hooch.

Cheers,

McKee

We have a 90 gallon jacketed (Bain Marie) with a thumper and coil, powered by 3 x 5500 watt immersed elements, no vacuum required. 1:45 to 2 hour heat up and 3:30 to 4 hour runs on 55 gallon mashes for strips and 1:30 heat up and 8:30 runs for 70 gallon spirit runs.

Has worked great for over 2 years and keeps going strong. We go through a couple of elements a year and change out our water in the jacket every 4 or so months. Great way to start off if your frugal like us. I'd rather spend the money on an Anton Parr 4500 to make proofing and gauging easy. Sleep is a good thing.

Ran our first 60 gallon still with emeirsed elements for about 10 runs and were so pissed off with the scorching (we strip on grain) we quickly built an outer jacket for that still and ran that way for almost a year until we built our current 90 gallon still.

We're almost done with our new 250 gallon striping still (steam injected) that will feed a new 90 gallon spirit still (steam coil) at a second location (non-contagious) that we are building out currently. We will be able to increase our production by a factor of six and that should help keep us from running out of product that happens all too frequently now. Good problem, but it's still a problem.

Advise: electric elements in water work great, not so great in mash or spirits. You will learn volumes if your willing to do the work. Plan the vision, execute the plan and be nimble. Running a distillery is a really big onion!!! Mistakes made are not a bad thing as long as you learn from them. Starting off small is good only if at the same time your planning your expansion when it makes sense.

Good luck in your journey and enjoy!

Bluestone (and others),

Can you provide a little more info on Bain Marie?

Specifically a Bain Marie is a hot water bath, which to be used as a heating source for distillation of ethanol, would require the still run in a vacuum environment to lower the vapor pressure and allow the ethanol to distill at a lower temperature.

Are you also using Bain Marie to refer to hot-oil systems, in which a thermally resistive oil (such as USP grade mineral oil) is heated via an external source and used to the still.

Sorry for the confusion, I've used hot oil systems in the 12-15 MM btu/hr range, but never heard of them referred to as Bain Marie systems until I started making hooch.

Cheers,

McKee

I have never heard anyone in this industry who has a hot water baine marie. Every single time it's been oil, which is a method of baine marie (it's just a different heat transfer medium).

I have never heard anyone in this industry who has a hot water baine marie. Every single time it's been oil, which is a method of baine marie (it's just a different heat transfer medium).

And just like that, in the time I hit reply, walked away and returned to the computer to reply there's someone with a water baine marie. Go figure =)

We used oil for a couple of weeks. Ran too hot, created a bit of scorching (lack of surface area) on the inner jacket and we smelt like French Frys. We could run 300 mlpm faster, but not always a good thing (slow is smooth) and went back to good old water and love it. Kind of a pita cleaning out the oil prior to converting back to water but defently worth it imho.

Sudzie, do you have glycol or salt in the water to get it a bit over 100 C ?

We used oil for a couple of weeks. Ran too hot, created a bit of scorching (lack of surface area) on the inner jacket and we smelt like French Frys. We could run 300 mlpm faster, but not always a good thing (slow is smooth) and went back to good old water and love it. Kind of a pita cleaning out the oil prior to converting back to water but defently worth it imho.

What kind of oil were you using? Dehner built my still and I believe it's filled with Mobile Therm (correct me if I'm wrong) and I've been running the still for 5 months and have not noticed a single hint of odor. The oil gets up to about 370 degrees, the agitated mash pulls the heat way faster than 27kW can provide, and I only hit 370 towards the very end of my stripping runs. Before I had agitation I was scorching and agitation completely solved that.

I'm thinking of installing larger elements for a faster heatup and run time, but I'm pulling 90 amps and would need to upgrade my wiring to pull more.

And just like that, in the time I hit reply, walked away and returned to the computer to reply there's someone with a water baine marie. Go figure =)

And another, we use hot water bain marie. They are actually the standard type of still for certain products, like grappa and absinthe (high solids content). Ours is a Vendome whiskey still. They work fine, and depending on construction, can also be run in steam mode by simply dropping water level down below the pot. Note you can't do that with an oil-based bain marie.

Cheers,

McKee

Poppycock, bain marie using water has been used for distilling alcohol for centuries. In particular, it is a preferred configuration for products like grappa and absinthe. It is true it won't be very efficient for stripping low alcohol beers where you start out at a few percent and need to distill down below 0.25%. But who does that?

What kind of oil were you using? Dehner built my still and I believe it's filled with Mobile Therm (correct me if I'm wrong) and I've been running the still for 5 months and have not noticed a single hint of odor. The oil gets up to about 370 degrees, the agitated mash pulls the heat way faster than 27kW can provide, and I only hit 370 towards the very end of my stripping runs. Before I had agitation I was scorching and agitation completely solved that.

I'm thinking of installing larger elements for a faster heatup and run time, but I'm pulling 90 amps and would need to upgrade my wiring to pull more.

We used canola oil. And it is correct that if you don't fill your jacket all the way the upper part of the jacket will be steam. We run our jacket at 3.5 psi. I've used a Lazer point thermometer and there was a temp difference of around 25 degrees if I remember right.

• Thumbs up 1

Drifting off the original post to Lazer point thermometer.

I bought one to do a quick check on still and mash temperature. Assumed they were not very accurate but mine is hopeless.

Read the instructions that were closed in the sealed plastic pack and it said

not accurate for shiny surfaces = my still

not accurate if steam present = my mash tun

:(

Drifting off the original post to Lazer point thermometer.

I bought one to do a quick check on still and mash temperature. Assumed they were not very accurate but mine is hopeless.

Read the instructions that were closed in the sealed plastic pack and it said

not accurate for shiny surfaces = my still

not accurate if steam present = my mash tun

:(

They are not spot on for sure (ours is -7 degrees) but we use it now and then just to see the differential between several areas of the still. Helped a lot in the beginning to get a feel for how to drive the still. And now it's second nature.

McKee,

I guess the others have pretty well covered your question. But to answer: we use Bain Marie to refer to a liquid filled jacket, whether water or oil. When using water the jacket is slightly underfilled and creates steam on the spot. We offer this standard only on systems of 150 gallons or less. On larger systems the energy required to get a reasonable heat up time becomes impractical for most locations.

Our new 220 Gallon stripping still is an oil jacket and our Carl 150 L is a water jacketed style. Advice from our still builder was to use fryer oil (we are going w/ peanut) as opposed to the expensive thermal exchange oil.

Once our new one is up and running we'll see what is flowing better!

I'd reccomend the expensive thermal oil. In the grand scheme of things it's not terribly expensive, and saves the stink. The poster above is not the first I've heard having stink issues with cooking oil.

As for the laser spot thermometers, you need to put a dab of matte paint on the surface you want to check the temp of.

We build Baine Marie stills with water and oil jackets up to 300 gallons. Evan our 300 gallon units have reasonable heat up times. Unlike most of our competitors our heating systems are built in house. Also unlike most of our competitors we offer 230v single phase, 208v 3 phase, 240v 3 phase, 480v 3 phase and 600v 3 phase heating systems. Our 480v 3 phase 44,000 watt system for our 200 gallon Baine Marie only draws 53 amps.

We build Baine Marie stills with water and oil jackets up to 300 gallons. Evan our 300 gallon units have reasonable heat up times. Unlike most of our competitors our heating systems are built in house. Also unlike most of our competitors we offer 230v single phase, 208v 3 phase, 240v 3 phase, 480v 3 phase and 600v 3 phase heating systems. Our 480v 3 phase 44,000 watt system for our 200 gallon Baine Marie only draws 53 amps.

It is a matter of going with different type of elements. Not rocket science.

Wattco

Temco

Glacier Tanks has some 3-phase stuff too

or even Lowes for the singe phase 220v items

Does anyone have a link handy for an online temperature rise/watt calculator? I found one once, but I'm having difficulty now.

I'm filling to roughly 130 gallons (a little more on spirit runs since it won't foam) and heating up in 2 hours flat with 27kW (6x 4500 watt elements). Would be curious to see how much of a difference 5500 watt elements would make. Oil jacket with insulation if someone's going to run the #s.

Thanks!

Dehner,

Its more than just the elements. You have to use the appropriate wire, SSRs, bus bars, breakers, fuses and process control modules etc for the particular voltage The glacier tank elements are not UL listed so I would never use those. I have plenty of stainless pipe now from 1/2" up to 12" if you ever need anymore. Plus we have every triclamp part imaginable at better prices than glacier.