barrel storage in shipping container

B-rad

It has been done.  I've submitted a number that have been approved without question.  

I know Wood Hat Spirits in Missouri store their barrels in a shipping container on their property because they don't have enough room in their distillery. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 1:14 PM, Mechengineer_81 said:

out of curiosity how do you get the second row barrels to the back? two long 4x4's and roll them in? 

also was there any venting requirements needed?

4x4s tied with all-thread.  I’ll post a pic when I return to the distillery next week.

• Thumbs up 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mechengineer_81 said:

Thanks for the picture. That makes perfect sense. Are you going to have room for a third row? I am guessing that is a 20 foot container and not a 40’

Yes, 20' x 3 rows = 54 barrels. Cost of the container, timber, hardware and paint comes in at $4K. Depreciated over 3 years, costs you $24 per year/per barrel to store them.

BTW, the taper is 9 degrees. The ends of the 4x4  in the middle are tied with 1/2" pipe sunk in 4" on each end. Allows you to pull them apart to remove the rails easily. 

On 5/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, Golden Beaver Distillery said:

Yes, 20' x 3 rows = 54 barrels. Cost of the container, timber, hardware and paint comes in at $4K. Depreciated over 3 years, costs you $24 per year/per barrel to store them.

BTW, the taper is 9 degrees. The ends of the 4x4  in the middle are tied with 1/2" pipe sunk in 4" on each end. Allows you to pull them apart to remove the rails easily. 

that is a great value in my opinion. Did you have to do anything special for venting for fire marshal approval? I would assume with no electrical and a metal structure it would be pretty easy to add "adequate venting" with a simple turbine ventalator on the roof and some floor level side vents.

On 5/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, Mechengineer_81 said:

that is a great value in my opinion. Did you have to do anything special for venting for fire marshal approval? I would assume with no electrical and a metal structure it would be pretty easy to add "adequate venting" with a simple turbine ventalator on the roof and some floor level side vents.

No Fire Marshall issues.

We vented using small round vents on the sides (15 of them) and two roof vents.

Remember that alcohol is heaver than air so the side vents need to be at floor level. 

• Thumbs up 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, Golden Beaver Distillery said:

No Fire Marshall issues.

We vented using small round vents on the sides (15 of them) and two roof vents.

Remember that alcohol is heaver than air so the side vents need to be at floor level. 

Do you have any pictures the types of vents you used?  We are doing the same thing with the barrels we have and will get and was curious about whether you were concerned about negative air or did you just vent and let air do its thing.  

Golden Beaver are those barrels varnished or is it a trick of the lighting?

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Triangle Distiller said:

Can you place these containers inside of a non-firewalled building?

better people to answer this than me but probably not depends on your building. A building with no firewalls can still be h3 if all of its wall are exterior, so its not a no, it just depends on your building

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:20 AM, Mechengineer_81 said:

Thanks for the picture. That makes perfect sense. Are you going to have room for a third row? I am guessing that is a 20 foot container and not a 40’

We are a small distillery and it would take us a year to fill up that container ( we are doing exactly that).  But you have to take the barrels off the top when dumping them, you can't pick and choose this way...Older barrels will be on bottom...